[libvirt-users] Live migration with non-shared ZFS volume

Daniel Kučera libvirt at danman.eu
Fri Apr 28 10:06:11 UTC 2017

Hi Martin,

in the meantime, I've found a solution which I consider at least acceptable:

1. create zfs snapshot of domain disk (/dev/zstore/test-volume)

2. save original XML domain definition

3. create snapshot in libvirt like this:
virsh snapshot-create --xmlfile snap.xml --disk-only --no-metadata
test-domain
snap.xml:
<domainsnapshot>
  <disks>
    <disk name='/dev/zstore/test-volume'>
      <source file='/tmp/test-volume.qcow2'/>
    </disk>
  </disks>
</domainsnapshot>

This creates overlay qcow snapshot on top of my base ZFS volume

3. Transfer ZFS volume (with last snapshot) to remote host

4. Run live migration with setting XML from step 1 as DestXML and PersistXML
parameter and with VIR_MIGRATE_NON_SHARED_INC flag

This creates domain without snapshot on the remote host and migrates only
data from qcow overlay and commits them to the ZFS base volume.

What I don't like about this, is that I need to create and care about qcow
image.

The best solution for me would be to only create dirty block map in qemu
(block-dirty-bitmap-add) in step 3 and then migrate just changed blocks
without creating qcow snapshot.

Do you think it would be possible to implement it like this?

S pozdravom / Best regards
Daniel Kucera