[libvirt-users] Guest Reboot After Plug HDMI

Pavel Hrdina phrdina at redhat.com
Mon Dec 4 13:32:45 UTC 2017

On Mon, Dec 04, 2017 at 04:02:33PM +0800, Lying wrote:
> Hello, Everybody. I encounter a problem when i using my guest.
>
> I booting my guest without HDMI primarily, Then i add it, but my guest is be rebooted.
>

> To know what cause it, i do it again, especially i check my guest is running normal or not with "ping" before plugging, that's well.
>

> What i was suffer? can you help me solve it?
>

> Following message is detailed!!!
>

> Guest: window 7 profession
>

> Linux: Ubuntu 1604
>

> Qemu:1 v2.11.0-rc0
>

> Libvirt: 3.9
>

> method of  booting: virsh start myGuest1
>

> method of plug HDMI: virsh qemu-monitor-command myGuest1 --hmp 'device_add driver=vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,xvga=on,multifunction=yes'

Hi, this command hot-plugs the whole GPU card, and I'm not surprised
that it doesn't work.  Passing the whole GPU to guest is a little bit
tricky and requires several steps.  Main reason why it's not automated
yet is that each HW combination is specific and requires different
tuning.

I would recommend you to read this wiki page [1].

[1] <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF>

I was able to configure it on my computer, basically you need to make
sure that you have IOMMU available and enabled, that your GPU card is
in it's own isolated IOMMU group, configure kernel to assign vfio-pci
driver while booting and properly configure guest XML in libvirt.

Everything is described and explained on that wiki page.

Pavel