[libvirt-users] Libvirt and Virt-manager compatibility

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Thu Feb 2 07:29:25 UTC 2017

On 02/01/2017 02:09 PM, abhishek jain wrote:
> Thanks Michal.
> Yes I am stuck with 0.9.0 virt-manager version.
> Is this compatible with libvirt 1.2.2 release?

Sure. The aim of libvirt is to provide a stable API to manage domains.
Domain XML is considered an API too. Thus we don't break it (TM). Hence,
if a program learns how to talk to libvirt (parse/define XML), libvirt
upgrade will not break it. Obviously, new features will not be
available, but that's with every other software out there.

> From where I get such compatibility matrix

Due to reasons described above, there's no such thing. Any virt-manager
should work with any libvirt and vice versa. Of course, there might be
some bugs here and there. But they are not intentional. In general it
should work.

Michal