[libvirt-users] Communicating between libvirt contains on separate hosts

Peter Steele pwsteele at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 18:49:01 UTC 2017

I have a group of CentOS 7.2 servers running as VMs under VMware's ESXi
6.0. These all reside on the same subnet and we have no problem
communicating between the different virtual servers. In addition, each
of these servers run a number of libvirt-based LXC containers, also
based on CentOS 7.2. The hosts can communicate with their containers
without issues and the containers on a given server can communicate with
each other. However, containers hosted on two different servers cannot
communicate with each other or with other servers.

If we duplicate this setup using KVM based VMs instead of ESXi VMs
everything works fine--there is no problem communicating between LXC
containers regardless of which VM hosts them.

I assume this is not a libvirt issue but if anyone has encountered this
issue in running libvirt containers under a VMware environment and has
found a solution, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks very much,

Peter