[libvirt-users] high memory guest issues - virsh start and QEMU_JOB_WAIT_TIME

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Feb 14 13:57:50 UTC 2017

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 06:13:20PM +1100, Blair Bethwaite wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In IRC last night Dan helpfully confirmed my analysis of an issue we are
> seeing attempting to launch high memory KVM guests backed by hugepages...
>
> In this case the guests have 240GB of memory allocated from two host NUMA
> nodes to two guest NUMA nodes. The trouble is that allocating the hugepage
> backed qemu process seems to take longer than the 30s QEMU_JOB_WAIT_TIME
> and so libvirt then most unhelpfully kills the barely spawned guest. Dan
> said there was currently no workaround available so I'm now looking at
> building a custom libvirt which sets QEMU_JOB_WAIT_TIME=60s.
>
> I have two related questions:
> 1) will this change have any untoward side-effects?
> 2) if not, then is there any reason not to change it in master until a
> better solution comes along (or possibly better, alter
> qemuDomainObjBeginJobInternal
> to give a domain start job a little longer compared to other jobs)?

What is the actual error you're getting during startup.

I'm not entirely sure QEMU_JOB_WAIT_TIME is the thing that's the problem.
IIRC, the job wait time only comes into play when 2 threads are contending
on the same QEMU process. ie one has an existing job running and a second
comes along and tries to run a second job. The second will timeout after
the QEMU_JOB_WAIT_TIME is reached. The first job which holds the lock will
never timeout.

During guest startup I didn't believe we had contending jobs in this
way - all the jobs needed to startup QEMU should be serialized, so
I'm not sure why QEMU_JOB_WAIT_TIME would even get hit.

Regards,
Daniel
|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|