[libvirt-users] Controlling the name of the 'tap0' device, in a bridged networking setup

Govert govert.br at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 11:30:10 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm trying to control the name of the 'tap0' device that gets created as I
start a domain that uses bridged networking. The XML specification of the
domain contains the following configuration

    <interface type='bridge'>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
    </interface>

The libvirt documentation (
http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsNICSBridge) and other
discussions online tell me that I just need to include the <target
dev='desired_dev_name'/> tag in the XML specification of the domain under
the <interface> tag. Unfortunately doing so appears to have no effect; the
tun device created and 'enslaved' in the bridge is still called 'tap0'.
Interestingly, I never get a tun device with a name prefixed by 'vnet' or
'vif' which, according to the documentation, is the default behaviour (?).
The host is running CentOS 7, and virsh is used to start the domain.

Best,
Govert