[libvirt-users] libvirtError: block copy still active: disk not ready for pivot yet

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Tue Jan 3 16:28:13 UTC 2017

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 01:26:12PM +0200, Ala Hino wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> When performing live merge, in few cases, we see the following exception:

[...]

> libvirtError: block copy still active: disk 'vdb' not ready for pivot yet

You can see if the block operation is still in progress or not by doing:
`sudo virsh blockjob vm1 vdb --info`.

> That exception observed in following BZs:
>
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1376580
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1397122

[I see, that the above are oVirt bugs.]

> I am trying to understand what this exception indicates in order to handle
> it appropriately when thrown by libvirt.

Here's the commit that adds the above error message.  In short: Until
the 'query-block-jobs' QMP command emits the flag BLOCK_JOB_READY, the
copy / mirror block operation is truly not complete.

    commit eae59247c59aa02147b2b4a50177e8e877fdb218