[libvirt-users] KVM live migration issues for Windows guests

Fabrizio Soppelsa fsoppelsa at mirantis.com
Mon Jan 23 13:31:11 UTC 2017

Hi,

We're repeatedly facing a live migration issue with Windows guests, would be
great if someone could send their thoughts/suggestions/experience on how to
further troubleshoot this.

When we live migrate a Windows instance, it gets migrated (guest is running on
the destination host), but it eventually internally hangs. From the Windows
logs, the operating system has tried to shut down during the live migration.

There is no info at all, even at debug level, in libvirt logs.

I'm thinking to go with perf kvm or maybe kernel upgrade, but it might be I'm
missing something obvious in Windows for this scenario?

QEMU 2.0.0
Libvirtd 1.2.2
Host kernel version : 3.13.0-40-generic
Windows version: Windows 2012 R2

Has RBD volumes attached driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/, but
reproduced also without.

Thanks!

![](https://link.nylas.com/open/bi1c6xnw46zc0gy4ozrqerfkk/local-e0bf2fff-
21e6?r=bGlidmlydC11c2Vyc0ByZWRoYXQuY29t)