[libvirt-users] VM freezes while insmod virtio_net.ko

jason huzhijiang at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 14:56:04 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I encountered a tricky problem. I am using ovs+DPDK on the host side
to build the virtual network, so on the VM side , the virtio_net.ko
module is used to drive the nic. But VM always freezes while insmod
virtio_net.ko (I found  virtio_net.ko is located in initrams.img by
defualt, so I had to delete all virtio modules from initramfs.img and
insmod then one by one after system is loaded to confirm that).

After such freeze, virsh reset can not recover it due to cannot
acquire state change lock (held by remoteDispatchDomainReset) so I
have to use virsh destroy instead.

On the ovs-vswitchd side, the last log I can see is:

VHOST_CONFIG: read message VHOST_USER_SET_VRING_NUM
VHOST_CONFIG: read message VHOST_USER_SET_VRING_BASE
VHOST_CONFIG: read message VHOST_USER_SET_VRING_ADDR
VHOST_CONFIG: read message VHOST_USER_SET_VRING_KICK
VHOST_CONFIG: vring kick idx:0 file:59
VHOST_CONFIG: virtio is not ready for processing.
VHOST_CONFIG: read message VHOST_USER_SET_VRING_CALL
VHOST_CONFIG: vring call idx:0 file:60
VHOST_CONFIG: read message VHOST_USER_SET_VRING_NUM
VHOST_CONFIG: read message VHOST_USER_SET_VRING_BASE
VHOST_CONFIG: read message VHOST_USER_SET_VRING_ADDR
VHOST_CONFIG: read message VHOST_USER_SET_VRING_KICK
VHOST_CONFIG: vring kick idx:1 file:46
VHOST_CONFIG: virtio is not ready for processing.
VHOST_CONFIG: read message VHOST_USER_SET_VRING_CALL
VHOST_CONFIG: vring call idx:1 file:61
VHOST_CONFIG: read message VHOST_USER_SET_VRING_ENABLE
VHOST_CONFIG: set queue enable: 1 to qp idx: 0
VHOST_CONFIG: read message VHOST_USER_SET_VRING_ENABLE
VHOST_CONFIG: set queue enable: 1 to qp idx: 1
VHOST_CONFIG: read message VHOST_USER_SET_FEATURES

Software version I used are:

guest kernel: 3.10.0-514.26.2.el7.x86_64
host kernel: 3.10.0-514.26.2.el7.x86_64
host libvirt: 2.0.0-10.el7_3.9.x86_64
host qemu: 2.6.0-28.el7.10.1
host openvswitch: git 2.7.0
host DPDK: git  17.02.0

Please help to have a look at this issue.

--
B.R.,
Jason