[libvirt-users] Broken br0

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Mon Jul 10 13:09:23 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jul 03, 2017 at 08:44:00AM -0400, virt.persik at 9ox.net wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I wanted to get an extra IP on my local NIC, so I ran `sudo ip addr add
>192.168.1.130/24 dev enp4s0`. This didn't work as intended, so I thought

Well, this information does not have any value without us knowing what
is your setup.

>I'd restart the Ubuntu system to have things back to how they were.
>
>Alas, this didn't happen. While the host still has network as usual, none
>of the VMs are able to get a DHCP lease from the router, or any
>connectivity at all.

Still, no information about the setup (Outputs of `ip l`, `ip a`, `brctl
show`, etc.)

>I can still see br0 with `ip addr`, but my guess is that it's misconfigured
>now.

Define 'misconfigured' here.

>I tried adding a br1 with virt-manager (Edit > Connection details > Network
>interfaces > Add interface) and using that instead, but the app crashed
>halfway through; and I can't disable or remove the connection with the app
>now.

What is the relevant information here?  Did it change any system
settings?  Do you want to report the crash?  How did it happen?  Can you
do that without the app?  And so on...

>I wonder if this isn't a routing issue, but I am not very proficient in
>that area to troubleshoot and fix.

I don't see what this would have in common with routing, but since there
is no information to start from, I can't even say that it's not related.

>Where should I start? I'd like to use this as an opportunity to learn more
>about networking and VMs, so bear with me if I ask stupid/basic questions.
>Thanks!

No problem, but try giving more information.  What I got from your mail
was not much more than "My VMs don't have network access.", so maybe try
adding some information hinted at above, check what libvirt networks you
have and which are running (virsh net-list --all), send some
configuration information for those networks (virsh net-dumpxml
$network_name) and check libvirt logs (might vary depending on your
platform and such).