[libvirt-users] Is there still no easier way to shrink a VM image?

Leroy Tennison leroy.tennison at verizon.net
Tue Jul 11 05:34:31 UTC 2017

I have numerous qcow2 images which need to be reduced in size and have
their maximum size (virtual size) reduced.  Physical disk space became
so low that VMs "auto-paused" themselves, I moved enough images to solve
the immediate problem but need to rectify the underlying issue.  It
seems that qcow[2] files are grown in size such that the data inside of
them takes about 50-60% of the space (does anyone know the actual
algorithm or how to control it?).  Given the total physical disk space
on the hypervisors, I need something more restrictive.

Our hypervisors are a mix of Ubuntu 14 or 16 LTS (qemu-img 2.2 or 2.5).
After doing all the preparation (defragment, reduce OS partition size)
"qemu-img resize" reports that shrinking isn't supported yet.  My web
research indicates that, to accomplish this,  I have to:

    convert to raw

    shrink the image

    convert back to qcow[2]

    increase the image size to provide for some growth

I'm hoping I've missed something in my research and that someone knows
an easier way.  I don't feel constrained to qemu-img but this is a
production environment precluding consideration of experimental
software.  Virt-resize, guestfish or any other reasonable option is fine
with me.  Solutions or ideas?  Thanks.