[libvirt-users] SSH from host to domain using hostname

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Thu Jul 20 08:03:17 UTC 2017

On 07/19/2017 05:23 PM, c.monty at web.de wrote:
> <snip/>
>
> Update update:
> Output of 'virsh domifaddr '
> ld4004:~ # virsh domifaddr --source agent $domain
> error: command 'domifaddr' requires <domain> option
> ld4004:~ # virsh domifaddr --source agent vm02-fai
> error: Failed to query for interfaces addresses
> error: argument unsupported: QEMU guest agent is not configured
>
> ld4004:~ # virsh domifaddr --source lease $domain
> error: command 'domifaddr' requires <domain> option
> ld4004:~ # virsh domifaddr --source lease vm02-fai
>  Name       MAC address          Protocol     Address
>
> Question:
> Why are variables $domain (or $network) not working?

So usually when discussing on lists, we don't know how are user domains
named. Or networks. Or something else. So when asking for XML we use
$domain as placeholder and users are supposed to replace that with
actual name of the domain. The same applies for network. So these are
not bash variables - how can bash possibly know what you're up to?

Michal