[libvirt-users] Xen died - Fedora upgrade from 21 to 26

G Crowe gclvirtlist at crowie.net
Wed Jul 26 22:27:38 UTC 2017

Alvin,
     Thanks for that. I disabled the xendomains service (I had to do it
twice, as it seemed to re-enable itself after the first reboot) and it
now starts libvirtd automatically on startup.

However, all is not well!
"xl list" and "virsh list" will just hang
"systemctl stop libvirtd" just hangs and after this "ps aux" lists the
process as defunct
     root       673  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Zsl  08:04   0:00
[libvirtd] <defunct>
"kill -KILL 673" has no effect
"shutdown -r now" also hangs (I have to physically power off the
machine) irrespectively of whether I have tried to stop the service
before shutdown or not.

None of this happened yesterday when I manually started libvirtd after
bootup (when xendomains was still running).

The logs show nothing in error or warning category, just a heap of info
(I have the logs set to level 2). Is there anything in particular that I
should be looking for in the logs?

Regarding the use of a VM to access the host in a remote location... I
had considered this and there was little choice. The machine is on the
end of a VDSL line and was installed to consolidate a few servers in
that location in order to save power. I figured that automatically
starting a VM that ran the networking was not much more risk than a
physical server that had to start up its networking, and that has (so
far) proven to be true with all of the remote restarts & power outages
to date. The only other option is an expensive second link to the host,
and I've decided to live with the possibility of having to talk someone
through a restart over the phone rather than go down that route.

Interestingly, with the NBN in Australia (the country-wide rollout of
fibre or broadband to every premises) they have effectively converted
all our phone lines to VoIP. This has resulted in the old physical
landline now requiring one of the VMs to be running as well, so if I
ever need to talk someone through a restart it will need to be on a
mobile phone.

Thank you

GC