[libvirt-users] libvirtd not accepting connections

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Thu Jun 1 13:56:52 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 01, 2017 at 08:47:55AM -0400, Michael C. Cambria wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Ever since I recently upgraded to Fedora 25, I can't get kvm working.

It's not really about KVM but about libvirt.  So the daemon is running...

>It's worked on this system since initial fedora 20 install.  All
>upgrades were done via yum, then once available, dnf.
>
>I do have libvirt-sock in LISTENING state:   STREAM     LISTENING
>/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock
>
>I noticed I also have multiple connections in CONNECTING state:
>
>STREAM     CONNECTING    0        /var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock
>STREAM     CONNECTING    0        /var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock
>STREAM     CONNECTING    0        /var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock
>
>I rebooted and tried again.  Each e.g. 'virsh -c" or virt-manager
>command I issue, I end up with another socket in CONNECTING state.
>restarting libvirtd.service close them leaving just one LISTENING
>
>strace for virsh -c shows:
>

>4301  socket(AF_UNIX, SOCK_STREAM, 0)   = 5
>4301  connect(5, {sa_family=AF_UNIX,
>sun_path="/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock"}, 110) = 0
>4301  getsockname(5, {sa_family=AF_UNIX}, [128->2]) = 0
>4301  futex(0x7f3c0a2e4fc8, FUTEX_WAKE_PRIVATE, 2147483647) = 0
>4301  fcntl(5, F_GETFD)                 = 0
>4301  fcntl(5, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC)     = 0
>4301  fcntl(5, F_GETFL)                 = 0x2 (flags O_RDWR)
>4301  fcntl(5, F_SETFL, O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK) = 0

virsh is just waiting for the daemon, there's no useful info.

>systemctl status libvirtd.service and journalctl -f -u libvirtd.service
>do not show any log entries for libvird after it has been started.  e.g.
>it doesn't log anything about the connection attempts.
>
>Anyone have an idea where to look next?

Check if the daemon is running, check any possible QEMU processes that
might be running, enable debug logs for libvirtd [1] and try grabbing a
backtrace of the process (For example `gdb -batch -p $(pidof libvirtd)
-ex "t a a bt full"' after you install debuginfo packages).