[libvirt-users] libvirtd not accepting connections

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Tue Jun 6 15:18:31 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 10:19:32AM -0400, Michael C. Cambria wrote:
>Using qemu installed from source, I decided to try to create a VM.  It
>worked.  I cut/pasted a script I used to create a centos72 VM, renamed
>the name and cut the disk size down:
>
>$ cat debug-centos.sh
>#/bin/bash
>
>sudo virt-install -n dbgcent72 \
>     --ram=4096 \
>     --vcpus 2 \
>     --disk path=/dev/vg_guest_images/dbgcent72,device=disk,size=5 \
>     --description "Centos 7.2 64Bit" \
>     --network bridge:brguest0,model=e1000 \
>     --cdrom /home/mcc/Downloads/CentOS-7-x86_64-DVD-1511.iso \
>     --vnc \
>     --noautoconsole \
>     --hvm \
>     --os-type=linux \
>     --os-variant centos7.0 \
>     --video=vmvga
>

>$ ./debug-centos.sh
>
>Starting install...
>Domain installation still in progress. You can reconnect to
>the console to complete the installation process.
>
>$ sudo virsh list --all
>  Id    Name                           State
>  1     dbgcent72                      running
>
>The xml is placed next to the xml for all the other VM's that don't seem
>to be found:
>
># pwd
>/etc/libvirt/qemu
># ls -al
>total 80
>drwx------. 3 root root 4096 Jun  6 09:36 .
>drwx------. 5 root root 4096 Jun  6 08:38 ..
>-rw-------. 1 root root 3870 Jun  6 09:36 dbgcent72.xml
>-rw-------. 1 root root 3853 Jun 14  2016 dcos-bp.xml
>-rw-------. 1 root root 3551 Mar 21  2015 fbsd100.xml
>-rw-------. 1 root root 3273 Mar 23  2015 fbsd101.xml
>-rw-------. 1 root root 3867 Feb 21  2015 fedora20.xml
>drwx------. 3 root root 4096 May 10 18:08 networks
>-rw-------. 1 root root 3510 Oct 11  2015 u1404s.xml
>-rw-------. 1 root root 5017 Oct 11  2015 u1404.xml
>-rw-------. 1 root root 3507 Jun  5 19:33 wheezy.xml
>-rw-------. 1 root root 3489 Feb 21  2015 win7.xml

Well, in this case, even though you should not do that, normally, you
can do the following.  Backup your XMLs from this folder, and then try
feeding them to libvirt using 'virsh define /path/to/the/backup.xml'.
It is "essentially" what is happening when libvirt is starting, so it
will tell you why they cannot be loaded.  If they can, then compare the
output of 'virsh dumpxml $domain' to the backup XML and if it is the
same, then you restored your machines.  But that's very unlikely to
happen, because that'd mean I have no idea there's a codepath that could
fail.

Hopefully this will at least give us some more info about where to look
for the source of the problem.

Martin