[libvirt-users] libvirtd not accepting connections

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Mon Jun 5 14:46:31 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jun 04, 2017 at 06:42:39PM -0400, Michael C Cambria wrote:
>I've upgraded from Fedora 20; probably missed a merge of rpmnew with
>existing .conf; permission problem, some other mistake along the way to
>Fedora 25.

Yeah, probably some 'rpm -qV' (or whatever the command to verify all
packages is) could help as well.

>Is there a "how to" similar to [1] that lets one qemu to log that it was
>invoked and how far it got?
>
>I removed qemu (dnf remote qemu; sudo dnf remove qemu-common)
>build qemu 2.2-maint (assuming this relates to 2:2.7.1-6.fc25) from
>github sources
>installed qemu from sources (into /usr/local/bin)
>
>Things are a bit better.  Where something like "sudo virsh pool-list"
>would just hang before, now my storage pools actually are listed.  No
>luck listing my VM's, but "virsh list" and "virsh list --all" do not
>hang like before:
>
># virsh list

Are you sure you didn't miss the --all?

>  Id    Name                           State
>
># virsh pool-list
>  Name                 State      Autostart
>  default              active     yes
>  Downloads            active     yes
>  guest_images_lvm     active     yes
>
>#
>
>VM xml is /etc/libvirt/qemu.  The network, virbr0 is in
>/etc/libvirt/qemu/networks, and that gets created just fine.  All have
>root:root owner:group:

The VMs are not visible because the XML cannot be parsed if the binaries
are not on the system (the XML contains the whole path).  Also, I think
this works because libvirt doesn't look into /usr/local/bin, but I might
be wrong.  Check whether 'virsh capabilities' tells you something about
any emulator.

You can try installing from source, but putting it in /usr/bin, you can
also remove that installation, put back the one from the package and try
running:

  { for i in qmp_capabilities query-commands quit; do echo
  "{'execute':'$i'}"; done } | qemu-system-x86_64 -nographic -nodefaults
  -no-user-config -M none -qmp stdio

And see whether the QEMU process quits, what it outputs and if it gets
stuck, you can attach gdb and see what it's waiting for.  Or maybe try
running it with strace.

You can also do a thing I used to do a lot.  You can rename
/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 (for example) and create a script with that
filename that for example execs as qemu in strace with the output of
strace put in some file, or similar.  I can't think of anything else for
now, sorry.

Have a nice day,
Martin

P.S.: If qemu gets stuc even with that easy command, then it's
      definitely its fault.