[libvirt-users] why increasing vCPUs increasing the CPU sockets for QEMU+KVM

girish kumar girishbangaram at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 15:10:19 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I am new here, please warn me If I am not following proper etiquette of
this mailing list.

I am breaking my head, regarding why libvirt is defining multiple CPU
sockets when I increase the vCPU count. As and when I increase the vCPU
count in libvirt guest XML, it is increasing the CPU sockets in qemu
instance.

" -smp 4,sockets=4,cores=1,threads=1 " instead " -smp
4,sockets=1,cores=4,threads=1"

Does not this lower the performance of the guest as the host and guest
architectures gets different in that case.

Also please suggest a guest configuration which will take advantage of the
host CPU architecture.

Your help will be highly appreciated.

--
Regards,