[libvirt-users] why increasing vCPUs increasing the CPU sockets for QEMU+KVM

girish kumar girishbangaram at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 19:27:25 UTC 2017

Hi Daniel,

Thanks a lot for the quick and detailed explanation. Please see my another
query below.

>>In normal usage, the guest vCPUs will be floating arbitrarily across any
>>host physical CPUs.  So trying to match host / guest topology is not only
>>useless, it might actually degrade your performance - eg if you give the
>>guest 1 socket, 1 core and 2 threads, but he vCPUs get scheduled on
different
>>thost sockets, the guest OS will make very bad decisions.

The above is true, only if the the host have multiple sockets. As long as
the host has single socket, there will not be any performance degradation
right?

>>If you are willing, however, to assign dedicated host CPUs to each guest
>>CPU, then you can try to match the host + guest topology. That will
improve
>>performance, since the guest CPUs will be fixed to specific host CPUs.
THis
>>isn't suitable as a default config though, hence libvirt/QEMU's default
>>behaviour of using sockets for all vCPUs.
Will try the advanced configuration to match the guest to host. I am kind
of looking for a configuration which launches qemu with "-cpu host" option.

--
Regards,
Girish