[libvirt-users] recovering from deleted snapshot

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Fri Jun 30 13:38:38 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 09:23:29 -0400, Doug Hughes wrote:
> On Jun 30, 2017 6:22 AM, "Peter Krempa" <pkrempa at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 12:05:47 +0200, Peter Krempa wrote:
> > > On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 11:02:41 -0400, Doug Hughes wrote:

[...]

> file or directory
> > $ virsh blockcommit --active --pivot fedora23 vda
> >
> > Successfully pivoted
> > $ virsh domblklist fedora23
> > Target     Source
> > vda        /var/lib/libvirt/images/fedora23.qcow2
> > hda        -
> >

> Thanks for the reply! The original image is still there. Only the 1st and
> only top-level snapshot is deleted.
> the blockcommit fails though:
> [root at vm1 ~]# virsh blockcommit serv1r2 vda --active --pivot
> error: block copy still active: disk 'vda' already in active block job

What does 'virsh blockjob serv1r2 vda' report?

If it's something like this:

$ virsh blockjob fedora23 vda
Active Block Commit: [100 %]

Then you just need to finalize the block job by:

virsh blockjob --pivot serv1r2 vda

If that's not the case, please post what virsh blockjob is reporting and
the <disk> part of the XML.

In case where libvirt falsely thinks that the job did not finish I'll
guide you how to recover it, since restarting libvirtd would make
libvirt clear the block job busy flag, but libvirt would lose the
metadata.