[libvirt-users] Ubuntu 16.04 libvirt-guests.sh [6917] - running guests under URI address default: no running guests

Jędrek Domański jedrek.domanski at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 20:24:41 UTC 2017

Hi

I have recently upgraded from Ubuntu 15.04 to 16.04 and now everytime I
shutdown my PC I get a black screen where it says "libvirt-guests.sh [6917]
- running guests under URI address default: no running guests" and the PC
just hangs forever and will not shutdown. I need to manually kill it in
order to shut it down which is a pain in the ass. I have done some
investigation and here is what I've found out so far.

I have uninstalled libvirt, kvm and qemu:

sudo apt-get purge libvirt* kvm qemu*

The problem has gone, however I noticed some error messages at boot saying
something that "FAILED Qemu .... It flashes so quickly and I am not able to
read what exactly it says. I installed libvirt again:

sudo apt install qemu-kvm libvirt-bin

and the problem is back!

So is this script trying to shutdown my virtual machines? It looks like it
does but since it does not find any it hangs? I don't have any machines,
though. I used to have one, but I removed it. What is interesting, my PC
hangs at shutdown randomly, that is sometimes it hangs for like 15 seconds
and it shutsdown but in most cases it hangs forever. So this happens
randomly.

So, this investigation has brought me to you guys so please help me. I have
attached a screen (sorry for polish error message but the translation is in
the email title).

I have also posted a thread on AskUbuntu on this:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/925696/ubuntu-16-04-
libvirt-guests-sh-6917-running-guests-under-uri-address-default

Thank you,
Jędrzej