[libvirt-users] VIR_ERR_OPERATION_INVALID from virDomainDestroyFlags call

Milan Zamazal mzamazal at redhat.com
Fri Mar 17 10:55:13 UTC 2017

Hi, we experienced a strange, non-reproducible error after a successful
migration to another host.  When we called virDomainDestroyFlags with
VIR_DOMAIN_DESTROY_GRACEFUL flag after the migration on the source host,
we got VIR_ERR_OPERATION_INVALID (code 55) error.  The same with
repeated virDomainDestroyFlags calls.  Normally, we would expect either
success or VIR_ERR_NO_DOMAIN error.  `virsh list' didn't show the VM.

Can anybody please explain to us when this can happen and what the error
means in this context?  When we have good reasons to believe that the VM
is down (e.g. after a migration call successfully finishes) and we
receive such an error from virDomainDestroyFlags, is it safe to assume
the VM is basically gone and can we perform standard cleanup actions
(like removing related files from the host file system)?

Thank you,
Milan