[libvirt-users] can't establish more than 1000 connections with virsh

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu May 25 10:54:19 UTC 2017

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 06:51:40PM +0800, dw wrote:
> 在 2017年05月25日 18:37, Daniel P. Berrange 写道:
> > On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 06:20:51PM +0800, dw wrote:
> > > Hi:
> > >
> > >      I'm trying to connect with libvirtd with virsh from a remote PC,but only
> > > can establish 1000 connections.
> > >
> > >      If try more connections,prompt:
> > >
> > >      "error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
> > >      error: Failed to open file '/etc/libvirt/libvirt.conf': Too many open
> > > files"
> > >
> > >      I tried in another PC,also get the same prompt.
> > >
> > >      Anybody know why?
> > There's a limit of 1024 open file handles by default on Linux. You would
> > have to raise that limit in /etc/security/limits.d/ for your user.
> >

> In /etc/security/limits.d/,there is only 20-nproc.conf.

You can create any files you want in that sub-directory - they just
use the same syntax as limits.conf. It means that if RPM upgrades
limits.conf it doesn't interfere with your changes in limits.d/custom.conf

> I modified /etc/security/limits.conf,what I added is:
>
>         "*       soft nofile 81920
>         *       hard nofile 81920"
>
> I also modified /etc/pam.d/login,that I added is:
>
>     "session required        pam_limits.so"

I don't think that's needed - its already activated via
pam.d/system-auth which is included from login.

> The output of "ulimit -a" is:
>
>     core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
>     data seg size           (kbytes, -d) unlimited
>     scheduling priority             (-e) 0
>     file size               (blocks, -f) unlimited
>     pending signals                 (-i) 385898
>     max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 64
>     max memory size         (kbytes, -m) unlimited
>     open files                      (-n) 81920
>     pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
>     POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
>     real-time priority              (-r) 0
>     stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
>     cpu time               (seconds, -t) unlimited
>     max user processes              (-u) 385898
>     virtual memory          (kbytes, -v) unlimited
>     file locks                      (-x) unlimited
>

> What I did is right?

That at least shows the new limit is active

Regards,
Daniel