[libvirt-users] building virtual desktops with libvirt, KVM, SPICE and GNOME

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Tue May 2 12:58:12 UTC 2017

On 20/03/17 08:37, Martin Kletzander wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 10:26:20AM +0000, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>>
>> Can anybody comment on how to host virtual desktops on a headless
>> server using libvirt and KVM on the server and a SPICE client to
>> access the virtual desktop?  Is there a standard way of doing
>> this?
>>
>> I've seen many fragments of information about how to do this but
>> I didn't come across a single guide describing the entire
>> solution. Search engines also return a lot of information about
>> gaining remote access to a real physical desktop but that is not
>> what I'm looking for. I've also come across many real-world
>> scenarios where people are manually starting VNC server processes
>> for each user on different ports but I was hoping to find out if
>> there is a more standard way of doing this now.
>>
>> When I say "virtual desktop", the type of user experience I'm
>> thinking about is that named users can run a SPICE client
>> anywhere and always connect to the same host/desktop.  E.g. if
>> they leave some windows open, disconnect, go to another physical
>> machine and reconnect with the same username they will see the
>> same desktop with the same windows open.
>>

> How is it different to just having VM per user on that host and
> having people connect to their VMs (using TLS and passwords, for
> example, just to make sure).  Each VM will have its own spice (or
> VNC) server and users can connect to them either directly (if there
> is access and open ports etc.) or through libvirt (if they are
> not).  If latter is the case, you can use ACLs to restrict
> particular users to connect only to their machines.

That would be one solution - is there any standard solution to manage
the ACLs and to route each user's connection to the right machine
without asking each user to remember their machine name?

Is there a way to do this where multiple users are concurrently logged
in to the same virtual server, similar to different XDMCP sessions
started on the same server for different X users?

Regards,

Daniel