[libvirt-users] What global_quota option mean? What's its logic?

Volo M. vm at vovs.net
Thu Nov 2 13:03:56 UTC 2017

Hi techs,

Could you please explain or refer me to documentation where I could find a
description of global_quota schedinfo option. Someone told me that it could
mean a cpu limitation in percents like:
global_quota   : 25000 (does it mean cpu limit % set to 25  ?)

Is it true?
What other parameters mean in below output?
I didn't find any related documentation at libvirt.org.
Could you help me to describe me or refer to some description what below
schedinfo options mean? Thanks.

[root at cpkvm ~]# virsh list

 Id    Name                           State

 3     kvmtestvm                running

[root at cpkvm ~]# virsh schedinfo 3

Scheduler      : posix

cpu_shares     : 154

vcpu_period    : 100000

vcpu_quota     : -1

emulator_period: 100000

emulator_quota : -1

global_period  : 100000

global_quota   : -1

iothread_period: 100000

iothread_quota : -1

[root at cpkvm ~]# virsh schedinfo 3 --set global_quota=25

Scheduler      : posix

error: invalid argument: value of 'global_quota' is out of range [1000,
18446744073709551]

[1000, 18446744073709551]  - what this range mean?

[root at cpkvm ~]#

[root at cpkvm ~]# virsh schedinfo 3 --set global_quota=25000

Scheduler      : posix

cpu_shares     : 154

vcpu_period    : 100000

vcpu_quota     : 12500