[libvirt-users] kvm/libvirt on CentOS7 w/Windows 10 Pro guest

Benjammin2068 benjammin2068 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 04:46:21 UTC 2017

Hey all,

New to list, so I apologize if this has been asked a bunch already...

 Is there something I'm missing with Windows 10 as a guest that keeps Windows Updates from nuking the boot process?

I just did an orderly shutdown and windows updated itself <I forgot to disable in time> only to reboot to the diagnostics screen which couldn't repair.

going to command prompt and doing the usual "bootrec /fixmbr, /fixboot and /RebuildBcd" didn't help.

This has happened a few times. I can't believe how fragile Win10pro is while running in a VM.

(and it's happened on a couple machines I've been experimenting with -- both running same OS, but different hardware.)

I just saw the FAQ about the libvirt repo for the virtio drivers for windows.... I need to go read more on it...

but in the meantime, is there any other smoking gun I'm not aware of? (after lots of google searching)

Thanks,

 -Ben