[libvirt-users] error: internal error: missing backend for pool type 11 (zfs)

Nick Gilmour nickeforos at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 21:42:09 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I'm trying to setup virt-manager with ZFS als storage on my Arch box. I
have created a pool named virt-pool and tried to use it as storage. First
with virt-manager and then in the terminal with virsh but I'm always
getting the following errors:

*virsh # pool-define-as --name zfsvirtpool --source-name virt-pool --type
zfserror: Failed to define pool zfsvirtpoolerror: internal error: missing
backend for pool type 11 (zfs)*

But ZFS seems to be working fine:

# zpool status
 pool: virt-pool
state: ONLINE
 scan: none requested
config:

       NAME                      STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
       virt-pool                 ONLINE       0     0     0
         x                       ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

libvirt and VMM also. These are the installed versions:
Virtual Machine Manager v.1.4.3
virsh v.3.7.0
libvirtd (libvirt) 3.7.0

I have found that there was a bug last year which is supposed to be fixed:

*https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=827245
<https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=827245>*

So why I'm getting this error. Is something wrong with my setup?

Regards,
Nick