[libvirt-users] virsh + remote VirtualBox

Konstantin Suvorov i.am at berlic.net
Tue Oct 24 13:40:18 UTC 2017

Hello,

I have the following setup:
1. MacOS host with VirtualBox installed
2. Ubuntu 16.04 host with libvirt installed

What I try to do:
Manage VMs executed inside VirtualBox on host 1 with libvirt tools from
host 2.

I have vboxwebsrv up and running on my MacOS host.
I can successfully manage VMs remotely (e.g. with phpvirtualbox).

But libvirt (virsh in particular) doesn't work.

Reading debug logs, manuals and numerous internet threads leads me to a
conclusion, that libvirt does not support remote connection to VirtualBox
directly and only via libvirtd daemon installed on the same remote host as
VirtualBox. Is this correct?

If my assumption is correct, why is that so? Why libvirt can't manage
remote VirtualBox directly?

Regards, Konstantin.