[libvirt-users] should not libvirtd when stopped dismantle/remove net connections

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Fri Oct 13 00:58:41 UTC 2017

On 10/11/2017 02:39 PM, lejeczek wrote:
> hi,
>
> I stop libvirsh and I see it removes vnetx interfaces,

What do you mean by "libvirsh"?

If you destroy a guest (aka vm aka domain), e.g. by using "virsh destroy
blah", then the vnet interfaces for that guest are also destroyed
(because they are no longer needed - they are just tap devices used to
connect the guest's emulated ethernet devices to a bridge). But if you
stop the libvirt daemon (e.g. "systemctl stop libvirtd.service" on a
RHEL-based distro), the guests are still running, so the tap devices
(vnet) are still needed, so they are not touched.

> but those(at least) of bridge type remain in the system after daemon
> is stopped. Is this intended would you know?

A bridge device is used by potentially several different guests to
connect to the host and or the outside world. If it was destroyed when
the libvirt daemon was stopped, then all the guests would lose their
network connectivity. This would make it impossible to upgrade libvirt
without disrupting guest operation.