[libvirt-users] "virsh define" modify xml configuration file

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Thu Oct 19 01:48:34 UTC 2017

On 10/18/2017 06:59 AM, d tbsky wrote:
> hi:
>    I upgrade my system from rhel 7.3 to 7.4. so libvirt upgrade to 3.2.
>
>    I found command "virsh define vm.xml" sometimes  modify "vm.xml".

That command would only modify the file "vm.xml" if it was located in
/etc/libvirt/qemu (or /etc/libvirt/lxc, or whatever was appropriate for
the domain type) *and* the domain's <name> happened to be "vm". If
that's what's happening, this email should be your warning to never
directly modify or access the files in /etc/libvirt; they are files used
internally by libvirt, and modifying them can lead to "unexpected" results.