[libvirt-users] DHCP logging settings

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Wed Sep 13 16:59:57 UTC 2017

On 09/04/2017 09:17 PM, Shannon wrote:
> I find that libvirt clogs up syslog with trivial DHCP notifications. I
> know how to configure alternate logging with dnsmasq directly via
> 'log-facility' and/or 'quiet-dhcp' options

(Unfortunately there isn't currently any knob you can easily turn to
reduce dnsmasq's logs)

Interesting. A long time ago I was annoyed by all the logging produced
by dnsmasq and searched the standard/sample dnsmasq.conf for an option
to reduce the logging, but all I saw were options to *increase* it! I
guess I didn't look far enough.

It would be nice for libvirt to take advantage of this, but since the
logging levels of other parts of libvirt are handled in libvirtd.conf
and qemu.conf, maybe it would be better to add the option there rather
than making it a part of the config for each network. (on the other
hand, it might be nice to be able to have more verbose logs for some
networks than for others).

Does anyone have an opinion about this? Maybe we could have a
"dhcp_quiet" option in libvirtd.conf? (alternately I guess we could a
<log> element to networks, but that would require something sufficiently
generic that it would also be useful if someone decided to, e.g., write
a network driver that used the ISC dhcpd instead of dnsmasq).

Adding a conf file option could be a good candidate for a "My first
libvirt patch" task for someone...