[libvirt-users] How automatically set group.devices.allow for libvirt-lxc container after start ?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Sep 21 14:45:50 UTC 2017

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 05:14:38PM +0300, mxs kolo wrote:

> p.s.
> It would be nice specify any device in the xml domain config, for example:
> <devices>
>   <device type='char' maj='108' min='0' allow='rwm' name="/dev/ppp"/>
> </devices>
> At start libvirt executes mknod and then writes the necessary rights
> to cgroups device.allow.

You can do exactly that

<hostdev mode='capabilities' type='misc'>
  <source>
    <char>/dev/input/event3</char>
  </source>
</hostdev>

or for block devs

<hostdev mode='capabilities' type='storage'>
  <source>
    <block>/dev/sdf1</block>
  </source>
</hostdev>

See:

http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsHostDevCaps

The device path you've listed must exist in the host's /dev for this
to work though - we don't make it possible to create devices in the
container which don't exist in the host

Regards,
Daniel