[libvirt-users] Virsh Domain - Serial port; what does the attribute “port” of the serial node's child “target” do?

thilo.cestonaro at ts.fujitsu.com thilo.cestonaro at ts.fujitsu.com
Tue Apr 3 08:31:10 UTC 2018

Hi all!

I want to assign a real serialport to my kvm virtual machine via virsh.

When I add the following XML snippet to the domain xml, it gets successfully
attached but not as I expected it to happen.

<serial type='dev'>
  <source path='/dev/ttyS3'/>
  <target type='isa-serial' port='2'>
    <model name='isa-serial'/>
  </target>
  <alias name='ua-Serial3'/>
</serial>

I expected, that given the target port 2 it will be connected to /dev/ttyS2 in
the VM. But the target port gets totaly ignored and it will always be connected
to ttyS0. Unless I define another serial before this, then it is connected to
ttyS1, which is just the order of the serial devices in the xml then, still
ignoring the target port. So, do I understand the target port absolutely wrong
or is this a bug virsh?

Cheers Thilo