[libvirt-users] Disable guest discovery in virt-manager

Pavel Hrdina phrdina at redhat.com
Mon Apr 9 13:47:44 UTC 2018

On Mon, Apr 09, 2018 at 03:21:04PM +0200, Gionatan Danti wrote:
> Hi all,
> on CentOS7 / RHEL7 launching virt-manager causes a "discovery process" of
> the various configured VMs.
>
> This discovery is executed by inspection and overlayed disk files and it
> create a very short lived guest-xxxzzzyyy virtual machine. The end result is
> a pretty icon to the left of the virtual machine entry (ie: CentOS icon for
> a CentOS VM) and the list of installad packages inside the virtual disk.
>
> That said, I would like to disable such behavior. How can I do that?
> Thanks.

Hi,

The option to enable/disable this feature was implemented recently
in upstream [1].  In order to get it into CentOS/RHEL you would have
to create a BUG for it.

As a workaround you can uninstall python-libguestfs package which is
used by virt-manager to run the introspection.  If that package is
missing importing guestfs in the python code fails and the feature
is disabled.

Pavel

[1] <https://github.com/virt-manager/virt-manager/commit/6b1278ccda1bf52fd51c619858dfeaffb12a4029>