[libvirt-users] Share ZFS zpool between host and VM's

Doug Hughes doug.hughes at keystonenap.com
Wed Apr 18 13:56:06 UTC 2018

There are several possibilities depending upon what you mean.

Personally, I have a zpool on the host that I carve off individual zfs
filesystems that each guest uses. I put one qcow2 or raw image per zfs
filesystem. I do this for backup and replication purposes. Then I have a
recursive replication from this host to another so that I can boot up
any of the VMs should the primary VM server goes down. Works great.

So, you can share the host zfs with the guest as the file/path for its
virtual root

but you can also share it as just another directory device

or you could share it via NFS

or, if you wanted to (but I'm not sure why you would necessarily), you
could share it via ISCSI