[libvirt-users] Possible to resize a Windows guest's disk while online?

Andre Goree andre at drenet.net
Fri Apr 20 18:03:46 UTC 2018

On 2018/04/17 9:56 am, Martin Kletzander wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 01:30:26PM -0400, Andre Goree wrote:
>> I'm looking for a way to online resize a Windows disk -- i.e., be able
>> to resize the disk without shutting down, rebooting, or detaching the
>> disk.
>>

> virsh blockresize $domain $disk $size
>
> and then resize the disk in the disk managing utility inside the guest.
>  I don't
> thinkg qemu-guest-agent can do that for you.

Thanks, yeah this was actually more a question about the Windows guest
specifically, which I suppose should not have been answered on this list
haha.

Just thought that maybe I'm not the only one who's ever tried to resize
an RBD disk (didn't mention Ceph in my OP) while it was still attached
to a Windows Server 2016, and have that guest immediately realize the
additional disk space -- even if necessary to use Disk Management >
Action > Rescan Disks (which works on 2k8 & 2k12, but does nothing on
2k16).  Frustration ensues, lel

--
Andre Goree
Email     - andre at drenet.net