[libvirt-users] how xml generated

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Thu Apr 26 07:32:42 UTC 2018

On 04/26/2018 04:29 AM, 李卓瑶 wrote:
> hi :
>  i create a domain by virt-manager tool, then there is a xxx.xml generated in /etc/libvirt/qemu/.
> so, my question is how the xx.xml generated? What the code involves in libvirt ?

Long story short, virt-manager invokes virt-install which generates XML
string. This string (not yet saved onto disk, still just in memory) is
then passed to libvirt API virDomainDefineXML() which parses it, does
some sanity checking and finally formats it back and save it under
/etc/libvirt/qemu/$domain.xml.

Codewise, you want to be looking at qemuDomainDefineXMLFlags().

Michal