[libvirt-users] live migration via unix socket

David Vossel dvossel at redhat.com
Tue Aug 28 21:07:18 UTC 2018

Hey,

Over in KubeVirt we're investigating a use case where we'd like to perform
a live migration within a network namespace that does not provide libvirtd
with network access. In this scenario we would like to perform a live
migration by proxying the migration through a unix socket to a process in
another network namespace that does have network access.  That external
process would live on every node in the cluster and know how to correctly
route connections between libvirtds.

virsh example of an attempted migration via unix socket.

virsh migrate --copy-storage-all --p2p --live --xml domain.xml my-vm
qemu+unix:///system?socket=destination-host-proxy-sock

In this example, the src libvirtd is able to establish a connection to the
destination libvirtd via the unix socket proxy. However, the migration-uri
appears to require either tcp or rdma network connection.  If I force the
migration-uri to be a unix socket, I receive an error [1] indicating that
qemu+unix is not a valid transport.

Technically with qemu+kvm I believe what we're attempting should be
possible (even though it is inefficient). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is there a way to achieve this migration via unix socket functionality this
using Libvirt? Also, is there a reason why the migration uri is limited to
tcp/rdma

Thanks!
- David

[1]