[libvirt-users] Windows Guest I/O performance issues (already using virtio)

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Wed Aug 8 18:48:03 UTC 2018

Il 08-08-2018 19:35 Matt Schumacher ha scritto:
> I’m using ZVOLs to back the VM, and I’m
> using 4k block sizes, which seems to offer the best 4k random
> read/write performance (mail and database workloads), but maybe I’m
> missing something at this layer too.

For the ZFS part: try increasing your volblocksize to 64/128K. While 4K
volblocksize seems tempting (ie: no read-modify-write, no wasted storage
bandwidth, etc) it suffers from both a) high metadata overhead and b)
ineffective compression (which you should *always* enable, using lz4).

Try also disabling sync via sync=disabled. If VM I/O performance get a
noticeable boost, it means you should use a fast SLOG for ZIL.

Finally, simply realize that Win10/2016 are very, *very* I/O heavy. I
often wonder on how Microsoft could release something so much I/O
starved...

That said, when running your virtual machine entirely on an Optane drive
I would not expect slow I/O at all.
Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan