[libvirt-users] Snapshot overlay-file deletion

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Aug 31 20:23:19 UTC 2018

On 08/31/2018 02:17 PM, Gionatan Danti wrote:
> Hi list,
> issuing the command "virsh blockcommit --delete --pivot" (on a
> previously created external snapshot/overlay) returns an error regarding
> an unsupported flag warning stating "error: unsupported flags (0x2)". I
> need to manually "rm" the affected file after the blockcommit.
>
> A similar issue was reported many years ago here [1]. Am I missing
> something, or is the "--delete" flag not supported?

The qemu driver still does not implement the flag. Yes, it's a known
issue for many years now, but it is surprisingly complex to come up with
semantics for deletion of an external snapshot in a way that doesn't
corrupt data, so no one has tackled that code project.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266