[libvirt-users] Shutdown problem from virsh

Thomas Munfort thomas.munfort at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 21:20:59 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

On a server running Debian 9, I have multiple KVM guests automatically
started at boot by libvirtd.service and running in the background. When I
shutdown this server, libvirtd.service automatically and gracefully shut
them all down first. So, every thing is fine so far.

Recently, I've added an additional KVM guest and this one does not respond
to a shutdown command from virsh and therefore messes up the shutdown of
the whole Debian 9 server.

The things is, this additional KVM guest is not a regular Linux guest. It
is DiskStation Manager (DSM) 6.2 from Synology (with XPEnology as the boot
loader).

I know this setup isn't supported by libvirt nor Synology. Nonetheless, I
wonder if anyone would have idea on that matter ? Even some suggestions
might help me find what needs fixing.

Thank you,
Best regards,
Thomas M.