[libvirt-users] luks ecrypted storage poll - lvm - possible?

John Ferlan jferlan at redhat.com
Thu Dec 20 21:57:41 UTC 2018

On 12/20/18 11:56 AM, lejeczek wrote:
> hi everyone,
>
> do we get to encrypt lvm pools in/with libvirt?

The pool or the volumes?

> I'm on Centos 7.x but see mention of it, not even on the net.

I have no idea which libvirt version is in Centos versions, but support
was added in libvirt 3.9.0 (Nov. 2017) via commit 2518fd3b6a with a
followup commit 9b837963 for libvirt 4.5.0 (June 2018) to "further
clarify" that only LUKS encryption is supported.

> Or in other words - can guests(lxc I'm thinking of) run off ecrypted lvm
> where at least the part when dev gets luksOpened is taken care of by
> libvirt?

It should work with the appropriate secret and volume being used.

John