[libvirt-users] "virsh list --all" is intermittently causing a shutdown client to boot?

Michal Prívozník mprivozn at redhat.com
Fri Dec 14 20:28:23 UTC 2018

On 12/14/18 4:31 PM, Peter Kukla wrote:
>  Autostart is set to "enable" for this domain, but I wouldn't expect autostart to be invoked when a simple "read-only" command is run.  I'd expect the "list --all" command to only display details about the domain...not change the status of the domain by booting it.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding things...

Bingo!

I mean, this is still a bug, but not that trivial to fix. As I explained
earlier, in session mode the daemon is shut off after some time of
inactivity. Then, when there is some new activity the daemon is started
up again, but it has no idea about the previous state of things, i.e.
you shut down a domain and want it keep shut down. All it knows is that
there is a domain with autostart set that is not running. So it starts
the domain again.

The only solution I see is to disable autostart for session URI.
As a workaround you can start session daemon yourself (just run libvirtd
as regular user of yours). This way the daemon is not autostarted
automatically and therefore without --timeout.

Michal