[libvirt-users] libvirt on Windows

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Thu Feb 1 14:52:18 UTC 2018

On Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 01:19:03PM +0000, Robin Stegk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i am interested in developing against the libvirt library. But we would
> also need an actively developed version for Windows.
> The links I found on the website for Windows related builds are all
> pretty outdated and do not really work for me.
>
>   *   https://github.com/SPICE/virt-viewer Last commit 2 years ago
>   *   https://github.com/photron/msys_setup Last commit 5 years ago

Neither of these are supported by the libvirt project - they're 3rd
party efforts.

> So before getting invested too much, I wanted to ask how is the situation
> with Windows builds? Is libvirt focused on linux only for now, or do I
> just need to look somewhat better?
> Maybe the cross compiling is working? (I didn't try that for now, because
> I would need to set up a Fedora maschine).

We actively support Windows, but *only* when compiled with the mingw toolchain
and we only test this for cross-compilation from Linux. GCC and/or CLang is a
hard requirement - we won't support Microsoft C compilers for building libvirt.
The GCC/Clang produced DLLs should be usabled from apps built with other
compilers though.

If all you need is the DLLs, then you could alternatively get the Fedora
mingw RPMs for libvirt and extract their content.

Regards,
Daniel