[libvirt-users] snapshot of a raw file - how to revert ?

Lentes, Bernd bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Tue Feb 13 12:38:34 UTC 2018

Hi,

i have the following system:

pc59093:~ # cat /etc/os-release
NAME="SLES"
VERSION="11.4"
VERSION_ID="11.4"
PRETTY_NAME="SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP4"
ID="sles"
ANSI_COLOR="0;32"
CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:suse:sles:11:4"

pc59093:~ # uname -a
Linux pc59093 3.0.101-84-default #1 SMP Tue Oct 18 10:32:51 UTC 2016 (15251d6) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

pc59093:~ # rpm -qa|grep -iE 'libvirt|kvm'
libvirt-cim-0.5.12-0.7.16
libvirt-python-1.2.5-1.102
libvirt-client-1.2.5-15.3
kvm-1.4.2-47.1
sles-kvm_en-pdf-11.4-0.33.1
libvirt-1.2.5-15.3

I have several guests running with raw files, which is sufficent for me. Now i'd like to snapshot one guest because i make heavy configuration changes on it.
>From what i read in the net is that libvirt supports snapshoting of raw files when the guest is shutdown and the file of the snapshot becomes a qcow2. Right ?
I try to avoid converting my raw file to a qcow2 file. I can shutdown the guest for a certain time, that's no problem. I don't need a live snapshot.
But how can i revert to my previous state if my configuration changes go wrong ?
Can i do this with snapshot-revert or do i have to edit the xml file and point the hd again to the origin raw file ?
What i found in the net wasn't complete clear.

Thanks.

Bernd
--

Bernd Lentes