[libvirt-users] How can we achieve vga emulation over a serial port in libvirt

Meina Li meili at redhat.com
Wed Feb 28 07:10:08 UTC 2018

Hi

For the latest seabios version, it said: Support for vga emulation over a
serial port in SeaBIOS (sercon).

So I want to know how can I find the application of this feature in
libvirt? And whether my understanding is correct?
There are no related instruction on the website: https://libvirt.org/

My understanding:
(1) The feature means: we can set this the IO address of a serial port to
"video" element to enable SeaBIOS' VGA adapter emulation on the given
serial port.
(2) Libvirt XML examples and with this xml the guest can start successfully:
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x06'
function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <video>
    <model type='vga' vram='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
    <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='3'/>
    </video>

Thank in advance.

Best Regards
Meina Li