[libvirt-users] Create virtual machine failed using virDomainCreateXML

netsurfed zhuohaofan at 126.com
Tue Jan 23 03:39:59 UTC 2018

Hi all,

When I created a virtual machine using virDomainCreateXML, with virtualport type was openvswitch, and virtual machine creation failed. The error message is:
internal error: Child process (/sbin/tc filter add dev vnet110 parent ffff: protocol all u32 match u32 0 0 police rate 0kbps burst 0kb mtu 64kb drop flowid :1) unexpected exit status 2: RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument

The Domain XML file the <interface> section like this:

I looked at the system log and it looked like an ovs port problem.

However, when I use "tc" to manage "vnet*" of an existing virtual machine, it still returns the same error.
root at ubuntu-24:~# /sbin/tc filter add dev vnet83 parent ffff: protocol all u32 match u32 0 0 police rate 0kbps burst 0kb mtu 64kb drop flowid :1
RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument
We have an error talking to the kernel

Is there any reason for this problem? Thank you very much.

Below some information about my machine:
libvirt version: 3.4.0
ovs_version: "2.8.90"
root at ubuntu-24:~# uname -a
Linux ubuntu-24 4.4.0-62-generic #83-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jan 18 14:10:15 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux