[libvirt-users] Issues Connecting to Remote Host Through SSH

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jan 23 10:15:51 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 03:53:37AM -0600, T A wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been unable to connect to a remote host from within my network using
> the following argument.
>
> virsh/virt-manager -c qemu+ssh://user@host:port/system
>
> I've tried libssh & libssh2 as well. Using ssh just prompts me for the host
> password indefinitely. When using libssh2 the connection is rejected.

When using the 'ssh://' scheme, libvirt expects that you have configured
an SSH agent and publickeys to provide seemlessly non-interactive auth.

virsh opens a single SSH connection, but virt-manager will open multiple
connections if you have a domain VNC/SPICE console open.

With libssh/libss2 we ought to be able to prompt for the password
interactively IIUC.

Regards,
Daniel