[libvirt-users] How to set the MTU size of VM interface

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 07:49:16 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 4:46 AM, netsurfed <zhuohaofan at 126.com> wrote:

> Dear all:
> I start a VM with MTU size 1450, and login VM to check the mtu size, but
> this setting didn't work.

[snip]

> However, the actual mtu size of VM is still 1500, as following:
>
> root at ubuntu-zhf:~# ip addr

[snip]

> I use ovs to create vxlan networks and add VMs to the ovs bridge. Because of the limitations of vxlan, I need to set the mtu of vm to 1450.
>
> How to set the MTU of VM?  Thanks.

You have to set it inside guest OS. So I presume still in
/etc/network/interfaces file for Ubuntu (see also "man interfaces")
See also this thread opened by me some days ago and Dominik's answer
related to new features and OVN internal dhcp server (if relevant in your
scenario)
https://lists.ovirt.org/archives/list/users@ovirt.org/thread/PDIZL2GL343GFWV5L6KA4KCPARJ4HWCE/

HIH,
Gianluca