[libvirt-users] dmesg shows Intel Virt., lsmod shows kvm_intel; "Host does not [have] virt. options"

Quincy Wofford quincy.wofford at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 13:47:49 UTC 2018

Hello,

I've tried over at IRC and it appears the solution to this problem may not
be obvious.

I'm working with a Centos7 box on HP ProLiant 380p hardware. The BIOS is a
bit outdated, but both Intel Virtualization Options and VT-d are present
and enabled in the firmware.

Some relevant command outputs below:

-bash-4.2$ dmesg | grep Virtualization
[    1.299295] DMAR: Intel(R) Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O
-bash-4.2$ lsmod | grep kvm
kvm_intel             174841  0
kvm                   578518  1 kvm_intel
irqbypass              13503  1 kvm
 sudo virt-install --virt-type kvm --name <my name> --memory 8192 --cdrom
<my path>/CentOS-7-x86_64-Everything-1708.iso --disk size=4 --os-variant
rhel7
ERROR    Host does not support any virtualization options

I don't see any options to increase the verbosity of virt-install. Any
ideas?