[libvirt-users] List-Archives ...

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Thu Jun 7 08:06:49 UTC 2018

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 09:30:42AM +0200, Ján Tomko wrote:
>On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 01:04:37PM +0200, thg wrote:
>>Hi everybody,
>>
>>actually I wanted to search the list archive, before asking, but
>>unfortunately I don't "get" it:
>>
>>$ gunzip 2018-May.txt.gz
>>gunzip: 2018-May.txt.gz: not in gzip format
>>
>>It seems, that in every archive-file there is always one message in
>>plaintext and then a big binary block.
>>
>>Any hint?
>>

>Try a different application to download the file.
>
>Years ago wget did not work for me because of some Content-Encoding
>problems, so I had to use Firefox.
>
>(I don't remember whether the server sends incorrect headers or if
> the handling in wget was broken, but it works for me now even with
> wget)

IMHO there are two different gzip compressions applied, one for the file and one
for the transfer.  If you have new enough wget, then downloading it with
--compression auto (experimental in 1.19.5) should create valid txt.gz files
that you can just gunzip [1] cleanly without errors.

>Jano

Martin

[1] Usually when I think of some stupid joke (or maybe just stupidity in this
    case) it already exists on the internet.  But now either my google-fu is
    weak with me or there is no picture of a gun with a zipper on it.  So I
    can't attach any Gun Zip picture :(